23 August, 2008

There Is A Small Possibility That Swiss Scientists Will Kill You

We're about two weeks away from the opening of the Large Hadron Collider, a 17-mile-long particle accelerator located just outside Geneva. With this new accelerator, scientists will be able to look at particle physics like never before. One of their lofty goals is to create, ahem, black holes. ...Real black holes. ...Molecule-consuming, eat-everything-in-their-sight-including-LIGHT-for-Christ's-sake black holes. And just look at that Swiss guy in the picture. He doesn't look worried at all.

I guess it's pretty unlikely that the Large Hadron will swallow up the universe and destroy us all. Gail Collins of the New York Times is comforting in her op-ed, though she admits that in physics, "there is no such thing as zero chance." And a panel of scientists released an official report reviewing the safety of the experiments, and they deemed the whole endeavor totally okay (although why they even had to assess the safety in the first place is a little eerie).

Whatever. I think it's pretty dang cool. Science rules! And don't you forget it! (Or else.)

You can read more specifics on what the particle accelerator actually does here.

2 comments:

Hung said...

What's up with this flood of posts?

Also, instead of reading about how things work, I usually stick to the proven method of learning by listening to informative raps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j50ZssEojtM

Anonymous said...

I'm the sort of guy who enjoys to seek revolutionary stuff. Presently I'm building my own solar panels. I am managing it all alone without the aid of my men. I'm using the net as the only way to acheive this. I discovered a very awesome site that explains how to make photovoltaic panels and so on. The site explains all the steps involved in diy solar panel construction.

I'm not really sure about how precise the data given there is. If some guys over here who have experience with these works can have a peak and give your feedback in the site it would be awesome and I would highly treasure it, because I truly like [URL=http://solar-panel-construction.com]solar panel construction[/URL].

Tnx for reading this. You people rock.