13 February, 2008

Tina Fey To Return To 30 Rock To Host 'SNL'

I don't usually watch Saturday Night Live. But in SNL's first post-Strike broadcast (Feb. 23), Tina Fey will be returning to 30 Rockefeller Center to host the show she once worked for. I'll watch it because I think Fey is a comic genius, and 30 Rock, her scripted series based around an SNL-style variety show, is so funny I want to take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant.

But here's the thing: when Fey was head writer for Live (the first woman to hold that position), the show was in one of it's worst creative slumps in recent years. It was during her reign that I really stopped watching the show (although, in all fairness, blame can also be placed on Jimmy Fallon, whose biggest talents were botching his lines and mugging for the camera). So I wonder: How will the performer in Fey (who recently won a Screen Actors Guild award for her work on 30 Rock) fare without the pressure of heading the chaos of a live television show? When she was behind the Weekend Update desk, SNL was actually (wouldn't-you-know-it?) funny. That's not to say the WGA-card-carrying scribe is a bad writer (she isn't, not by a long shot), but... Well, I don't know. That's the thing. Why didn't SNL work better with her in charge? ... I guess that's why I'll be tuning in on Saturday night, to see what's changed.

P.S.: Tina,
If you're reading this, ditch your husband and marry me.
xoxo Ben

1 comment:

Ben said...

Update: I didn't watch. I guess my love for Ms. Fey was not enough to lure me to my television set on a Saturday night. I did, however, watch several clips from the show on Hulu. Funny, but slight. I guess the jury's still out.